Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Nautical themed wedding cookies, and Gum Paste Tutorial

There are people in this life that do nothing but spread happiness to others, they walk into a room and light it up with their smile and positive attitude.


Keith and Amy are two of those people in this life and I am so happy that they found each other.



I was thrilled to make some wedding cookies for the two of them and share a bit of my love with them during this amazing journey in their lives.  The two of them are getting married soon in the tropics thus the beach theme of the cookies.


 This set gave me the opportunity to use a new technique, Gum Paste!  I used ModPodg molds to make all the different shells and then airbrushed, petal dusted and hand painted the dried results.


Making GumPaste decorations is now my new favorite thing to do in the evening, it's quick and easy and I can do it while watching TV or chatting with the hubby. 


I was so surprised how easy it was to make these little decorations.  All you have to do is buy some powdered gum paste and follow the directions to mix up the gum paste, then you can work with it straight away or keep it in the freezer for later use.  


Once your GumPaste is mixed and kneaded I make small pea sized balls and push them into the molds.  I let the GumPaste sit in the mold for a few min. before popping it out.  Any silicone mold will work just be sure to wash it before use and dusting it with powdered sugar helps keep the GumPaste from sticking.  


Once the GumPaste pieces are removed form the mold I use and exacto knife to cut off any of the scraggly bits and smooth up the edges.  Be sure to do this before the GumPaste dries otherwise you will be hacking away and the edges the next day and may end up breaking your lovely pieces you just made.


I let all the decorations air dry for about 3 days and then store them in a small tupperware.  Be sure to let the pieces dry out before sealing them away or they could cause already dried pieces to melt.  Same goes for painting your decorations, if you are not applying them to a cookie right away let them dry for a day or so before sealing them up with other decorations.  


Comment or e-mail if you are interested in a full tutorial on making GumPaste decorations.  I would be more than happy to make a photo tutorial or even a video if their is interest in it.  

Stay Sweet Everyone and Congrats Amy and Keith <3

No comments:

Post a Comment