Thursday, November 1, 2012

Korean Chicken

So I took a quick little break from making sweets and took some time to focus on my other passion, cooking.  The hubby and I have been back in the U.S. for a little more than a year now and we are both really missing Korean food.  Lee is especially missing fried chicken...who knew, out of all the foods in Korea fried chicken is one of his favorites  which is easy to understand once you taste Korean fried chicken, it is juice  flavorful, and has a great crunch.  I have been searching high and low for the recipe for yangneong chicken, which is fried chicken with a sweet, salty and a bit spicy garlicky gingery glaze.  I finally found it at Olivia Jason Kim they have loads of great recipes that I can't wait to try out!
And now without further ado, bring on the Chicken!

The glaze is a mix of soy sauce, ketchup, lots of garlic, some ginger, honey, sugar, sesame oil and red pepper flakes. 

The chicken is dipped in a mixture of corn starch salt and pepper then dipped in a batter of corn starch and water.  This makes for some really crispy chicken. 

Mmmmm yummie!


You can find the full recipe right here I would add a bit more spice and ginger to the sauce next time and cut down on the salt by using half regular soy sauce and half low sodium soy sauce....I thought the whole thing was just a bit too salty. 
Lee loved it and was finally happy he was able to have something really close to his favorite food from home.

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious!! These chickens are my favorite also, but I believe this recipe will soon become my number one... yumm :)

    ReplyDelete